The NCCU County Championships are open to all NCCU affiliated Counties in every section. The county championships run the following sections every year; Open, U180, U160, U140, U120, U100
Teams consist of 12 players in the Regional Northern stages and 16 players for teams progressing to the National County Championships. To find out more information about the county championships read more below.
The NCCU Club Championships are open to all NCCU affiliated Clubs in every section. Teams consist of 4 players. To find out more information about the county championships read more below.
- Open – Open to all players
- Major – Total grading limit (4 players) 680 Average top 2 boards 180
- Minor – Total grading limit (4 players) 520 Average top 2 boards 140
- Seniors – Open to all players aged 35 and over (4 player team) (average age of combined players must be at least 55 years).
- Durham CongressThe durham chess congress is going ahead this year. To enter, visit the congress website or download the entry form.
- Northumbria Masters entry forms now out!Entry forms are now published for the 2021 Northumbria Masters (August 26-30), which is going ahead over-the-board at a brand new Covid-secure venue, Marriott MetroCentre in Gateshead. The congress, generously supported by Chess in Schools and Communities, includes a GM […]
- New Year, New website!I recently took over management of the Northern Counties Chess Union website earlier this year. Since Covid-19 has put most over the board matches on hold, I decided it was a good time to completely redo the old website as […]
- ECF Queen’s Gambit SchemeWith many people working from home during lockdown and children stuck indoors out of school, the ECF, along with hundreds of clubs, has seen a spike in interest among former enthusiasts as well new players who want to learn and […]
This small history section was created to give a flavour of the Union and what it is acheived for chess playing throughout the North of England over the last 120 years. Including what it does now and what it hopes to do in the future.